Emigration #3, 1853; Ostheim to Long Grove, Illinois
- Ida Barbaras married William Charles on 25 Jul 1942 in Barrington, Ill.
- The Lutheran Protestant United Congregation at Long Grove, Illinois was organized in 1847; Jacob Barbaras was a founding member
- Siblings Delmer, Elmer, and Mildred moved to Phoenix in 1927, the family had a farm there.
- Edna Barbaras (1889-1911), died of pneumonia, http://mv.ancestry.com/viewer/5cd723ec-3ca2-4ca8-8d17-e62fc56eecf9/3887478/-1217118342
- Pg. 485 Col 2.
- Drafted and Sub-Recruit: 32nd Infantry Regiment Company A
- Enlisted: Sept 29, 1864; Deserted April 26, 1865
- Mildred Barbaras Sterns' notes: He was paid to take someone's place in the Civil War
- Henry Barbaras, age 16, died on voyage from Ostheim
- Mildred remembered going with her father to her cousin's (Johann Barbaras and Salomé Weiskupp) house in Diamond Lake, Illinois. "Johnie, a redhead and very slender.. Julie lived with her mother."
- Margaretta Stetler (15-Apr-1854 to 13-Jan-1939); died in Highland Park, Ill.; daughter of Henry Stelter from Osendorf, Hanover; Came over at at age 16 with Kate Eisler of Long Grove.
- Elsie lived in Barrington, Ill. One child, "Leonard Lohman came one winter and stayed with Dad and Mother at Bar. E"
- Ida Louise, "married to a Holle and later to a Williams and then lived in Barrington, Ill. where we visited her with Dad. First and last time we saw her."
- Jacob (1879 - 1964) had a second wife after Ida Vollmer
I received the following email from a helpful correspondent:
- Carrie Lohman died at Manteno Mental Health Center, in Manteno, Illinois in 1952. She had been there since 1938. There are no hospital records available.
- From what the Kasardos tell me, Esther had told everyone that both Carrie and Charlie Barbaras died in the same auto accident that supposedly killed Evelyne. I am going to try to verify the Evelyne died when she was 18 part, but that could be tough. I am going to check Cook County and see if there is a death certificate they lived in Palatine, Illinois at the time
- I have Carrie's death certificate somewhere and Charles verifiably died in California so I know the rest of the story is untrue.
- Carolyn (Carrie) Lohman Barbaras is buried in the Cemetery at Manteno Mental Health center I have seen her grave. I have a feeling that Esther did not want anyone to know that mom had spent all that time in a mental institution. Why she would deny her father I have no idea all. I do know however that he was close in proximity to Esther when he died in California.